Thursday, February 19, 2015

Bush Poppy Envy

Half a mile from my house are a couple of Bush Poppies, outside UCI's Anteater Recreation Center.  They are huge.  They appear to be the Channel Island species, Dendromecon harfordii. While at their best now, they bloom most of the year.  I wanted one in my garden.  No luck.

Bush Poppy outside UCI's Anteater Recreation Center, in a mixed low-water planting.
Every time I drive by I am jealous.
I had a Bush Poppy for almost two years.  It had twelve leaves total.  It just didn't grow.  Finally I replaced it with a Baja Fairy Duster, which has grown more in a month than that Poppy ever did.

Tomaz still has his Bush Poppy.  It's four years old.  He is more patient than I.
I didn't overwater; it would have dropped dead. It isn't that they need full sun; I have seen Bush Poppies (a cultivar of the mainland species rigidashorter bloom season but more cold tolerant) at Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden under the cover of trees, blooming like crazy.

Rich gold flowers are striking against olive-green leaves.
What is the difference?  Larger plant initially?  Bush poppies are said to have brittle roots.  Maybe a bigger pot size gives them more of a chance when planted?  Maybe it likes whatever arcane watering system they have.  Drip?  Alas, some mysteries remain unsolved.  So I remain gazing lustfully from a distance at these beauties. Try your luck; if you succeed, tell me your secret.

My sister in law Dawn is in the photo for scale. Hi Dawn!

To subscribe to this blog, click here.
To use text or photos from this blog, click here.
To share this post (do share!) click on the appropriate tiny icon below (email, facebook, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment